Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The aftermath

Someday I'll explain this all better. However for now I'll give you the short version. My husband and I are moving. We still have our home, but have finally decided to move into one of the homes my family owns. I wanted to do this a year ago, but I still had it in my head I wanted to live in a new home, plus I had some frustrations with the kitchen and what not. My parents last renters moved out a year ago. They were old, but they left the house in pretty good condition. My family spent hours updating the house with new paint, new carpet, new refrigerator, stoves and so on. The yard was awesome with an herb garden and even a pumpkin patch. Everything was beautiful. Then to top it all off, the airport authority came in and replaced every single window and door. Brand new triple pain windows, awesome screens, glass front doors replacing the old rickity screen doors. The house was awesome.

THEN. They had new renters move in. I will post before pictures tonight, but for now, here is what we just walked into on the day after their lease was up. We have one month to completely redo this house, wish us luck.

Piles of trash left behind

Broken furniture left behind

They stole our welcome mat, and have obviously never sweeped their porch

Brand new screen door destroyed by their dogs, the brand new sliding glass doors are scratched from the dogs claws

Their bin full of butts left just for us

Their trash just for beer bottles left behind for me to recycle

That is how often they have dusted

This would be how their kitchen floor looked, at all times, we entered the house during their time living there, it was always this gross (we are taking down the wall paper hush)

Clearly they have never mopped the kitchen, we are now being forced to remove the kitchen floors

This is what their stove looks like

A brief glance at the laundry room floor

The brand new carpet

More of the brand new carpet, this room smelled so bad I had to swallow down vomit from the stench of rot

Second brand new screen destroyed by dogs

They left me some trash

Well isn't that sweet, that would be the wall in Codis future room

The door in Codis room

What the fuck is this, also Codis room

I will be taking more photos tonight with my camera, these were taken on my work one. I will post before and after for compare contrast. I did not take photos yet of the stuff rotting in the fridge and pantry. The house is scary, the brand new ceiling lights are yellow, the walls are yellow, the curtains are gross. We have to wash and scour and dry clean and repaint, and redo the floors. I'm sad, and depressed and I can't help but feeling like this is my fault for not just moving a year ago. Stay tuned for better pictures tonight.

Edited to add: I just went around back of the house and found where the kids would open the sliding door when they were drunk and puke outside onto the patio. There is months of dried puke all over the place. I also found where the little girls had been coloring all over the windows with crayons. Finally I want to add, the people living there were a husband and wife with two boys around 17 years old, plus countless random druggie friends they were all on social security and disability for phantom illnesses. Too sick to work but not to sick to be in a band and sit around drinking. One room was use for nothing but drinking, smoking and playing games.

15 comments:

Stephanie said...

Damn, those renters were awful. It'll take some work, but in the end, it will be great. Like I have told you a million times, I will help as much as I can!!!

Rachael said...

Oh my God. Oh my God. What the hell is wrong with people? You really got me with the stove. And those weird red stains in Codi's future room. Uck!

Jen said...

Oh my GOB. That is really disgusting. I can't even imagine! I cannot believe the thing about the dried puke... and the stove- WTF?! That doesn't even LOOK like a stove? Did they have references?

Ahh! Is there some kind of renter's insurance that covers that?

angie said...

Did your mother kill these people? That's the only thing I could see that red stain in Codi's future room being becuase I know that your mom must have at least wanted to kill these people for what they left that house looking like!

Anonymous said...

They did get a piece of my mind yesterday Angie and yes your aunt got the cops called on her when I told that bitch to come out side, she did not though.

Christy said...

Holy crap. It looks like you guys have your work cut out for you. When we moved into our house here in Jersey, there were holes on nearly every wall, navy blue carpet throughout the house, and crayon marks on EVERYTHING. And I thought that was bad - yours is way worse. Good luck girlie!

Mrs. J said...

OMG! They are very dirty people!

H said...

good luck! lots of work ahead of you but it will end up wonderful!
xoxo
h

Constance the 14,000th said...

wtf? are you kidding? that must have been your worst nightmare. i would pay someone to come and clean it. no way could i do it. you are such a neat freak, i am sure you felt the same, no?

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless. Really.

I HATE when people let a nice house go to crap like that.

Mrs. F said...

What an exciting new adventure, and while I am disgusted about the way the renters left the house, I like to look on the bright side and say that at least it is all cosmetic. Nothing some elbow grease (and a good carpet cleaner) won't fix.

Anonymous said...

damn shannon...just damn

Megan said...

HOLY HELL!!!! That is horrible...I can't even imagine. If anyone can do it, though - and make it funny - it's you, Shannon!! :) Can't wait to hear the stories you have in store. Wishing you lots of luck - eyes on the prize! The end result will be a dream come true. xoxo

Lainey-Paney said...

that looks like blood on the last wall switch.

was it a fraternity that rented the house????????

Nancy said...

And we have people wonder why we don't rent out our condo at Tahoe!!